Friday, April 15, 2011

White Chili

Corey works with lots of people not from America. They have a large variety of ethnic groups in the factory. Every carry in has dishes from India, Vietnam, China and mostly Mexico. There are several places that deliver to the factory, also with different styles of cooking. So in the five years that Corey has worked there he has seen and tasted several things that he otherwise would have never come in contact with. A few weeks ago several people ordered from a Mexican place that delivers. One of the guys had White Chili. Corey said the guy had tears in his eyes because it was so hot. The guy was telling Corey some of the ingredients. All stuff Corey likes. He came home and asked me to look for a recipe for White Chili. I wasn't really sure about it. But then I thought about when we would have girls days out. We would always go to Hacienda, a Mexican restaurant in the town where we did our day out. My sisters both at one time or another ordered the White Chili. At restaurants I am sort of a find something I like and stick with it sort of person. But upon the request of Corey and knowing that Tami and Holly like it I looked for a recipe and gave it a try. Corey tried it and said it was awesome and I should try it that he thought I would like it. And well, I did give it a try, and did like it.



White Chili

1 Lb large white beans, soaked overnight, then drained
6 cups chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chilies
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cups chicken, cooked and diced
3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 Jalapeno or Serrano pepper, chopped

Combine beans, broth, garlic and half of the onions in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are soft, about three hours, may need more. Add water, or watered down broth) as needed. In skillet, saute remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chilies and spices, mix thoroughly. Add to beans. Add chicken and simmer one hour. Add jalapeno. Serve topped with the cheese.

Optional garnishes, cilantro, tomatoes, salsa, green onions, or guacamole. Serve with tortilla chips.




**I used a Jalapeno and a couple pickled Serrano peppers in mine.
**I put a few shakes of cilantro in and stirred right before serving.
**For the chicken I just gave a couple breasts a quick fry in a bit of oil. Then shredded it a little. Then back into the pan and cooked until done before adding to beans.
**I topped mine with the cheese, a sprinkle of green onions, and a dab of salsa. To me that made the perfect topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment