Tuesday, April 19, 2011

40

This post is gonna have nothing to do with food. You've been warned.

I am a couple weeks away from being 40. I dreaded turning 30 but quickly got over it. I started having trouble with the big 4-0 several months ago. Of course Corey laughing and calling me old every chance he gets isn't helping. I've noticed lots more gray hairs and wrinkles. I decided long ago I was going to try to age gracefully. I was going to accept every gray and wrinkle. I wasn't going to dye my hair or use any of that anti wrinkle stuff. I also notice lots of other little things that weren't there in my younger years. And I'm starting to adjust to the changes.

Anyway, not many people know I sometimes jot down my thoughts. Last week I discovered a patch of grays and a lovely wrinkle that has formed beside my nose. It was the middle of the night when I made my discovery. I just kept thinking about turning 40 soon and wrote the following.

40

Today I turn forty, how can that be
Yesterday I was just twenty three
I look in the mirror, hey what's that there
You have GOT to be kidding, ANOTHER gray hair

Don't make me laugh, because sometimes I tinkle
And look at my face all of those wrinkles
I say to myself is that really me
Let me put on my glasses, you know I can't see
And you have to speak up, I also can't hear
I'm falling apart, at least that is my fear

I pop when I walk, arthritis you see
He's become my best friend, he lives in my knees
I can no longer eat that, it gives me heartburn
You just wait, it will soon be your turn
You may be young now but just wait and see
Someday you'll be old like me

Did I just say old, is that what I am
No longer a miss, now I'm a ma'am
I found more little wrinkles at the sides of my mouth
What once pointed north is now headed south
My memory is fading, just like my youth
Guess you can say I'm long in the tooth

But as I think back, I just have to say
Thank you dear Lord for this wonderful day
For all of the memories of times that I've had
For all of my family, my mom and my dad

My sisters and brother, oh the things we have done
Back in our youth when those things were fun
We've grown and we've changed, we've had laughter and tears
And all of this in just forty years

Hey, wait a minute, I'm not that old
And I still look young, at least I am told
So I'm gonna go out and have me some fun
I can be old next year when I turn forty one




No comments:

Post a Comment