Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hoisin 5-Spice Chicken

Once again a recipe I found online. A couple posts ago I showed my spice cabinet. I would say my spices have doubled since trying new recipes. This recipe is sort of a two part recipe. Between both recipes I used five spices for the first time today. This has a unique taste. I would say if you like Chinese you would like this. It would go really well served over rice.



Hoisin 5-Spice Chicken

6 drumsticks
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
1/4 tsp 5-spice powder (recipe follows)
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 Tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
2 Tbsp soy sauce

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put all but meat in zip top bag. Mix ingredients. Add meat and toss to coat. Marinate in fridge for a few hours. Bake in upper third of oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

5-Spice Powder

1 tsp ground Szechwan pepper (or black pepper)
1 tsp star anise, ground
1 1/4 tsp ground fennel seeds
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 tsp ground white pepper (optional)

Blend all. Store in air tight container.

**I used boneless, skinless breast in place of drumsticks.
**If you can find 5-spice powder could use instead of making your own
**I couldn't find ground anise and fennel, so I put them in a bowl and used a small flat bottom glass jar to pound them a little.
**I used about 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp white pepper
**I marinate my meats in a shallow bowl with a lid. I poured the excess marinade over the chicken before putting in the oven. I would suggest putting some foil in your pan for easy clean up. Wish I would have thought of that before I cooked mine. Oh well, now I know for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment