Friday, April 22, 2011

Mojito Chicken

I found this recipe on this blog http://www.goodeatsblog.com/. I have had it on my menu for a couple months. Since I don't drink and Corey only drinks wine, or a beer once in a blue moon, I didn't want to buy rum. So I kept pushing this recipe back telling myself I would just go to the liquor store and get the smallest rum they have. Then I decided to search online for substitutions for the rum. I found one that was perfect, made from two items I always have in the apartment, vanilla extract and water.

My next problem was it call Trader Joe's simmer sauce. Since there is no Trader Joe's where I am I needed a substitution. My final problem was Caribbean seasoning. I couldn't find it at my grocery. I was gonna just give up on this one. But as people say "Google is your friend". I searched for recipes for both the simmer sauce and seasoning. Found both so once again this recipe was on the menu.

Mojito Chicken

1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
Trader Joe's simmer sauce
1 can corn, OR 8 oz frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained
1 Tbsp Caribbean seasoning OR Jamaican Jerk seasoning
1/3 cup rum
pinch crushed red peppers

Salt and pepper the chicken. Sprinkle with Caribbean seasoning and red peppers. Cook in small amount of olive oil until brown. Add rum. Cook until alcohol burns off. Remove from pan, set aside. Saute onions and garlic. Add corn and beans. Simmer for just a few minutes. Add sauce and chicken back into pan. Serve over rice.

Mojito Simmer Sauce

4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped cilantro
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
juice of 1 lime AND 1 orange

Pulse in processor or blender until combined. Store in fridge.

Caribbean seasoning

1/3 cup minced onion
1 Tbsp dry mustard
2 tsp ground all spice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all store in air tight container.

**For the chicken I used red pepper flakes
**The simmer sauce use all that the recipe makes
**I used ground red pepper in the Caribbean seasoning. This makes enough for several uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment