Thursday, April 14, 2011

Forbidden City Chicken


This is once again a recipe I found online. This was the first time I have ever used curry powder. For some reason I always thought that it would be extremely hot. That was not the case at all. However once it hit the oil everything it touched turned yellow. So be sure to have a paper towel handy. The flavor of the chicken was very good. You could taste a hint of cinnamon. As I said this was the first time I used curry powder, everything else were things I usually have on hand.



Forbidden City Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 Tbsp peanut or canola oil
1/2 to 1 tsp curry powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ginger puree
1 tsp garlic puree
3 Tbsp brown sugar (or 3 Tbsp Agave nectar)
1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp chicken stock
sliced green onions (for garnish, optional)

Heat oil in pan about one minute, turn off heat. Whisk in curry, cinnamon, ginger, garlic and brown sugar. Add soy sauce, lemon juice and chicken stock. Stir until well blended. Trim meat of all fat. Cut small slits down one side. Marinate three to four hours in fridge. Spray glass baking dish with non stick spray. Place meat slit side down in pan. Brush with some of the marinade. (Save marinade). Bring meat to room temperature while heating the oven to 325 degrees. Cook twenty minutes. Remove from oven, turn meat over, brush with marinade. (Can now discard marinade). Cook ten minutes. Remove from oven, brush with marinade from in the pan. Cook five to ten minutes, until lightly browned.

**I used vegetable oil
**I used fresh ginger, grated
**I used fresh garlic, minced I used three cloves
**I used bottled lemon juice, had left from another recipe, next time will use fresh
**This would go well with any vegetable in my opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment