Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ketchup

A few days ago I needed ketchup for a recipe. I would have had enough, but Corey wanted some tator tots as a evening snack. So he used my ketchup for tot dippin. I wasn't going to make a special trip to the store for ketchup. So of course I searched to see if I could find a recipe online. I found this one at hillbillyhousewife.com. She says use where ever ketchup is desired. Don't get me wrong it is good, but not sure I would want it in some ketchup situations. I would suggest making it for yourself and sample it with your food. I was using it for Tender Tangy Ribs. It was perfect for that recipe. The only thing I did different is I had tomato sauce not paste on hand. So as a substitute I reduced and water by 3 tablespoons.

Ketchup

6 oz tomato paste
1/4 to 1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 pinch cloves
1 pinch all spice
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar

In medium bowl combine all the ingredients with a wire whisk. Blend well. Scrape mixture into pint sized resealable container. Chill overnight, to blend the flavors. Use where ever ketchup is desired.

**I used 1/3 cup water, minus 3 tablespoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment