Friday, June 17, 2011

Chinese Pepper Steak

This is another recipe I found online. I'm not sure where I found it. This is a simple recipe. Prep everything before you heat your wok/pan. If serving over rice, start the rice before you start heating your pan. It comes together quickly. This was the first time I used oyster sauce. I wasn't sure about it. I have never had oysters so didn't know what to expect flavor wise. Once everything was cooked and combined the flavor was fantastic. Corey doesn't like tomatoes so I used a small plum tomato and picked it out of his bowl and put it all in mine. This one is a keeper.

Chinese Pepper Steak

1/2 Lb beef, sliced thin
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, wedged
1 medium tomato, wedged
1/4 cup beef broth
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce

Combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch in small bowl, set aside. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in wok on high heat. Add ginger and stir fry 10 seconds. Add garlic, fry another 10 seconds. Add beef, fry quickly until no more pink, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove beef and keep warm. Add 1/2 Tbsp oil and heat on high. Add green pepper and onion, fry 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomato, fry 1 to 2 minutes. Move vegetables to one side. Add beef to other. Pour sauce into center and stir a little, allowing it to thicken, about 2 to 3 minutes. Combine all, stir to coat. If serving with rice, start rice before heating wok.

**I don't have a wok so just used a large skillet.
**I couldn't find the original recipe. I don't have it written when to use the beef broth. I added to the oyster/soy mixture before adding it to the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment