Monday, May 2, 2011

Packet cooking

I do several meals in the crock pot. I have two crock pots. One is a small basic one with a low/high knob. Guess I should say low/high stem, the knob has been missing for years. My second one is a large unit with a removable crock. It has a timer for cooking 4, 6, 8, or 10 hours. It also has a warmer. After the cooking time has expired, after a certain time, it will warm back up. I love my crock pots and the large one gets plenty of use.

When I cook in my crock I try to use my space and time wisely. That is why I packet cook, as I call it. Using foil form a packet for your vegetables or potatoes. I put a few pats of butter and my seasonings in the packet also. Fold up the sides and ends. Place your packet on top of your meat in the crock. With potatoes you may want to put them in the full time. With frozen vegetables, they may not need the full time. I usually put them in full time just so I don't forget.

Some things will start with just a little liquid, then the juices of the meat will add to the crock. In these cases I just lay the packet right on top of the meat. Sometimes however the meat may have a marinade that you don't want to lose on the bottom of your packet. In these cases, crinkle a few pieces of foil and place between the meat. Then lay in your packet. The foil lifts the packet off the meat.

When your meat is done, your vegetables or potatoes are done. And clean up is a snap.

**Even with the butter pats in the packet, sometimes the potatoes will get dark edges. You may want to open your packet a couple times during cooking and gently stir the potatoes. Just be sure not to tear your packet or you will lose your butter into your meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment