Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5 Spice Chicken Kabobs

This recipe was very simple. This is the first time I have ever make kabobs. I have had my metal skewers for a while now. I have used them for a few other things, but never kabobs. There are directions for if you have a charcoal grill or a gas grill. I have neither. But that wasn't gonna stop me. I cooked them on my George Foreman, right on my kitchen counter. The flavor is a little unusual I think, but good. Corey liked them. This recipe also calls for 5 Spice Powder. I found a recipe online and made my own. The recipe for that will follow in case you would like to make your own, or have trouble finding it.

5 Spice Chicken Kabobs

1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp 5 spice powder
dash ground ginger
1 Lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup fresh or 8 oz can pineapple chunks, drained
1 medium green pepper, cut into one inch pieces
1 medium red pepper, cut into one inch pieces
2 cups cooked rice

For glaze, in small bowl combine orange juice, honey, soy sauce, 5 spice powder and ginger. Set aside. Cut chicken into one inch pieces. On skewer place chicken, pineapples, and both green and red peppers, leave 1/4 inch between pieces.

For charcoal grill, on uncovered rack over medium heat for 12 to 14 minutes, until done. Turn once, brush on glaze for last five minutes.

For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce to medium heat. Place on rack. Cover and grill 12 to 14 minutes, until done. Turn once, brush on glaze for last five minutes.

Serve over rice.

5 Spice Powder

1 tsp ground Szechwan pepper, OR black pepper
1 tsp star anise, ground
1 1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt, optional
1/4 tsp ground white pepper, optional

Blend all, store in air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment