Monday, May 9, 2011

Amish Pot Roast

I know my last post I said I was cleaning out the freezer. But I had a roast that I needed to cook. Of course I found this recipe online. It is a really simple recipe. I didn't follow directions very well. The recipe calls for it to be cooked in a Dutch oven in the oven. Well, I cooked it in my crock pot. It turned out great. It was nice and tender. I also didn't sear it in oil. I had just cooked Corey's breakfast. So I used the little bit of bacon grease that was in the pan to do my sear.

I cooked my potatoes and corn on the cob in the crock with the meat. Before I wrapped my corn I smeared mayonnaise on it. Then sprinkled garlic salt on it. I know it sounds strange. It is something I learned from a friend I used to work with. So here's the story. When "Nacho Libre" came out the guy I worked with was talking about him always eating the corn. He said the corn was covered in mayonnaise and paprika. The guy was born in Mexico and stilled had lots of family there. He said it is popular in some areas to make their corn like this. So I used the same idea but used the garlic salt. It was good.

Amish Pot Roast

3 to 4 Lb beef roast (sirloin tip, rump, or English)
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup coffee
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp oregano
2 onions, sliced

Sear the roast in the oil on all sides in Dutch oven. Put rest of ingredients in. Put half the onions over the meat, the rest in the sauce. Cover and roast 4 to 5 hours at 325 degrees.

**I cooked in the crock pot for 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment