Monday, March 7, 2011

Chicken Fried Steaks / KFC Knockoff Coleslaw



Today I am sharing two recipes that I found at this site http://www.amandascookin.com/. I thought they would go together nicely, and they did. I didn't make mine with cubed steaks, I used some chicken breasts that I had.

Chicken Fried Steaks

4 (1/2 Lb) beef cubed steaks
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1 Tbsp hot sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups oil for frying

Pound meat to 1/4 inch thick. Put 2 cups flour in shallow bowl. In a separate bowl mix baking powder, baking soda, pepper and salt. Stir in buttermilk, egg, hot sauce and garlic. Dredge each piece in the flour, then the batter, then again in the flour. Pat the flour into the surface, completely coat. Heat oil in deep skillet to 325 degrees. Fry about three to five minutes per side. Place on paper towel to drain.

KFC Knockoff Coleslaw

for slaw
1 head cabbage
1 medium carrot (about 1/4 cup)
2 Tbsp minced onion

for dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Mix dressing ingredients. Pour over slaw ingredients. Stir to coat. Best if refrigerated overnight.

**I used chicken not beef, turned out good.
**Slaw was excellent.
**I also served smashed potatoes with butter, a little parsley and oregano.

No comments:

Post a Comment