Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wasabi Beef Fajitas

I have never used wasabi, so wasn't sure what to expect. After looking it up and seeing it is called Japanese horseradish, I thought I'd try it. Most of the ingredients I had on hand. Since starting to try new things, I have amassed several items that before I would have considered unusual.

I wasn't sure how Corey would feel about them. I knew he would like the meat/vegetable part, I was worried about having coleslaw on his fajitas. But he took one bite and I heard him say yum. He said he didn't know what it was but it was good. It was good. This is a keeper.

Wasabi Beef Fajitas

1 large sweet red pepper, juilienne
12 green onions with tops, cut in half lengthwise
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Lb beef stir fry strips
2 tsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tsp prepared wasabi
2 tsp minced, fresh gingeroot
1 tsp minces garlic
8 (8inch) flour tortillas, warmed
1 cup coleslaw mix

In a large skillet, stir fry red pepper and onions in 1 Tbsp oil for 3 minutes or until tender, remove and set aside. In same skillet, stir fry beef in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, soy sauce, wasabi, ginger and garlic until well blended, pour over beef. Bring to a boil, cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Return red pepper mixture to pan, heat through. Spoon 1/2 cup mixture down center of each tortilla, top with 2 Tbsp coleslaw mix. Fold one side of tortilla over filling and roll up.

**Next time I will buy a fresh cabbage and shred it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment