Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

A couple nights ago Corey asks for some sweets. I haven't been keeping my baking cabinet stocked like I used to, so wasn't sure if I had ingredients to make anything. Then I remembered I still have about half a bag of chocolate chips from another recipe I tried last week. So I searched for a chocolate chip cookie recipe.

One of the links on the search page was for allreicpes.com. The title was The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies. How could I not try them if they are "the best". I printed out the recipe, and off to the kitchen I went. I wasn't sure if they would really be the best, I mean they were just the basic ingredients you find in pretty much all chocolate chip cookies.

But after reading over the instructions one thing caught my eye. It calls for dissolving the baking soda in hot water. I have never made cookies that say to do this. Could this be the secret to why they are the best?

I cut the recipe in half and made it in my usual big cookie style. Corey waited patiently while they baked. While still warm he ate a piece. I told him they were called "the best". He agreed, he said he thought they were the best he has ever had. So of course I had to taste. I must say that they were great. I didn't have any nuts to add, but will add some next time. And there will for sure be a next time.

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp hot water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans. Bake for about 10 minutes until edges are nicely browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment