Sunday, February 19, 2012

Creamy Dijon / French Dressing

Corey and I have been trying to eat healthier. Sometimes it is hard. We are not on any diets, just making small changes to better our health. Over the past couple months I have been doing a lot of reading online about food. I have been trying to make better decisions based on what I have learned. So as part of our eating better plan, I have started making our salad dressings. I purchased squeeze bottles to store them in. I only make one or two at a time, so that they don't go bad.

Over the twelve years we have been together occasionally we would have what we called "Big Salad Night". I would prep all the lettuce and toppings. We would have a nice variety of items, carrots, celery, radishes, cucumbers, bacon bits, croutons, cauliflower, cheese, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, and sometimes spinach. There would be enough that we would have small salads with lunch and dinner the next day. We both love vegetables so this was an extra chance to get an extra helping or two of vegetables. However, this week for our "big salad night", Corey decided it should now be called "Epic Salad Night". So after prepping all our vegetables, I made two dressings. French, which is my favorite. I have made this recipe several times. I also made a Creamy Dijon. This was the first time I made it. It was good, but does have a tang to it.

French dressing

3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and white pepper to taste

Put all in blender mix until well blended.

Creamy Dijon

2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Put all in blender mix until well blended.

**These are both Rachael Ray recipes.
**After some of my reading I used canola oil instead of olive oil. It is supposed to have the same health and heart benefits, but costs way less.
**In the French, if you don't have white pepper on hand, just use black pepper. I use black and it turns out fine.
**These recipes would be super easy to double or even triple depending on the size of your family.
**As you can see by the ingredients photo, I don't use real mayonnaise, I used the generic version of Miracle Whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment