Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Classic Belgian Waffles

This is the second waffle recipe I have posted. I made the first recipe and Corey liked it. But I just kept thinking I should look for others to mix it up a little. I decided to search for Belgian waffles. They seemed like a popular choice. I found a couple recipes that didn't seem too difficult. Although they both claimed to be "classic" Belgian waffles, they were slightly different in ingredients.

I decided to try the recipe from foodnetwork.com. It comes from Emeril. Everything it called for I had on hand, well sort of. I don't keep cake flour but the substitution for it is, take your one cup measuring cup, put 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in, then fill the rest of the way with all purpose flour.

This is a three bowl recipe, and as much as I hate doing dishes I was gonna make these this morning. They actually came together pretty quickly. The smell was like an angel food cake. They even had a different look to them then plain waffles. Finally time to taste them. Since I'm not a breakfast eater, especially at 5 am, this job was left up to Corey. He took the first bite and said they were good, but just waffles. I was a little upset. I dirtied three bowls, the mixer, a whisk and a spatula for just waffles. I said, aren't they lighter and airier then other waffles. He took another bite, he seemed to be savoring this bite, not just a quick chew and swallow. Then another bite, to which he said, these are different, much better, please make my waffles this way from now on.

So I guess the time and extra dishes were worth it. Happy Anniversary and Valentines Day, glad you enjoyed your meal.

Classic Belgian Waffles

2 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs, separated
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 cups milk
non-stick cooking spray

Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions. In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a second bowl use a wooden spoon to beat together the egg yolks and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow. Add the vanilla extract, melted butter and milk to the yolks and whisk to combine. Combine the egg/milk mixture with the flour mixture and whisk until blended. Do not over mix. In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter. Do not over mix. Coat waffle iron with non-stick spray and pour enough batter in the iron to just cover the grid. Close and cook 2 to 3 minutes.

*I cut this recipe in half.
*I separated the eggs and started beating the whites while I was working on the other ingredients. By time I got to the folding in part of the recipe, they were ready.
*I just served with a little maple syrup. But several of the suggestions were to serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment