Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tropical BBQ Chicken

This recipe comes from tasteofhome.com. It was really good. And the smell after just a couple hours was wonderful. By dinner time, combined with the smell I totally forgot to snap a photo. This is a crock pot recipe. I love being able to throw stuff in the crock and have a good meal. This recipe also makes a BBQ sauce with the juices after cooking. The sauce turned out great. There was enough that I still have some in the fridge. Next time I will remember to snap a photo to add.

Tropical BBQ Chicken

6 chicken leg quarters, skin removed
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tsp minced fresh parsley
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water

With sharp knife cut leg quarters at the joints. Place chicken in 4 quart slow cooker. In a small bowl combine ketchup, orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and pepper, pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until meat thermometer reads 180 degrees. Remove chicken to serving platter, keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices, transfer 2 cups to a small sauce pan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil, cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.

**I used boneless, skinless breasts.
**After reading an article about canola oil having the same health benefits as olive oil but for way less the cost, I have switched to canola oil.
**I juiced a fresh orange, I didn't get quit enough juice out of it so added water to make up the liquid difference.
**I served it with corn, but I think it would be nice with just a salad on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment