Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

I refuse to admit that I am becoming addicted to Pinterest.com. But I find myself every night browsing through photos of food. There has been lots of photos to catch my eyes. I love to cook and really love to bake. I find myself looking more at dessert type photos.

So I saw a photo of an ice cream sandwich. You could tell it wasn't a cookie cutter, out of a box sandwich. I clicked the link to where the photo was from, cometogetherkids.com. After reading through how she made them, I knew I had to give it a try. It was so easy. Of course the ideas for other versions instantly started coming to mind.

I did a Devil's Food cake with vanilla ice cream this time. But I think a strawberry waffle with chocolate ice cream would be good. Or strawberry waffle with vanilla ice cream with some strawberry slices. Even a Neapolitan style, chocolate waffle on one side, strawberry waffle on the other, vanilla ice cream in the middle. I'm not sure how sherbert would be in one, but was thinking a lemon waffle with lime sherbert. Guess I'll have to try that one sometime.

I am writing this how I did them. If you want the recipe as originally worded, please go to http://www.cometogetherkids.com/2011/07/cake-ice-cream-sandwiches.html

Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

Make your cake mix according to the directions on the box. Heat waffle iron. Cook cake batter on the iron. Let ice cream sit out to soften. My iron makes a nice sized waffle so I cut them in half. Once waffles are cool, spread ice cream over one waffle and top with another waffle.Gently push top waffle into ice cream.
Put in freezer to set.


**I have a FoodSaver, so I am going to vacuum seal them two to a package. If you don't have a vacuum system, I would suggest wrapping them tightly with a plastic wrap.
**Even cutting in half mine seemed a bit big, so I cut them in half again.


**This week I made strawberry sandwiches. I used strawberry cake mix with strawberry ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment