Saturday, March 3, 2012

Seasoning/spice Blends

My sister posted a link on her Facebook page about making your own taco seasoning. I have been doing this for about a year now. I know my husband and I can tell the difference. I got a really good deal on a triple coupon week for some seasoning packets. I used one and gave the rest to my mom. Went right back to making my own.

I have made a few recipes that call for a certain seasoning/spice blend. None of the stores near me had any that I needed. So I did what I usually do, searched online. I have had to purchase a few of the less common spices, but for the most part, I just have to open the cabinet.

I save the empty spice containers just in case I may need one for a homemade blend. I use labels to put what type of blend it is and the recipe. I have made a few blends that don't get much use. But my taco seasoning gets enough use that I triple the recipe. Don't be afraid to try a new blend. You never know you may like it better then the packets at the store.

Taco Seasoning

1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red peppers
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper

Mix everything together. Store in an air tight container.

Paula Deen House Seasoning

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix well. Store in shaker near stove for convenience.

Greek Seasoning

2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 garlic powder
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp beef flavored bouillon granules
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix all together. Store in airtight container. Can also freeze up to six months.

5-Spice Powder

1 tsp ground Szechwan pepper (or black pepper)
1 tsp star anise, ground
1 1/4 tsp ground fennel seeds
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 tsp ground white pepper (optional)

Blend all. Store in air tight container.

Caribbean seasoning

1/3 cup minced onion
1 Tbsp dry mustard
2 tsp ground all spice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all store in air tight container.

**These are some of the blends I have used since I have started trying new recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment