Sunday, March 18, 2012

Homemade Butterfingers (take 2)

The first batch turned out ok. With using milk chocolate they didn't really set hard enough, so although edible they were a little messy. Of course that didn't stop Corey and me, that batch lasted a few days. I told Corey I would get the right chocolate and give them another try. Glad I did. They turned out better this time around.

I let the bars harden at room temperature, not in the fridge this time. I cut them while they were pretty firm but not quite hard. That made them cut much easier this time. I used candy melts for dipping. I got them in the wedding cake/candy section of the craft area at Walmart.

The recipe calls for 16 ounces of the chocolate for dipping. The bag I bought was only 12 ounces and it was plenty for me. I don't have any fancy dipping system. I put a piece on a fork (not like you are eating, but just laying across the top) and then spooned the chocolate over top, letting the excess drip back into the melted chocolate. I helped guide the chocolate to cover the sides. I didn't worry much about how much the bottoms were coated.

This recipe will probably get made a lot around here.

Homemade Butterfingers

1 Lb candy corn
16 oz jar peanut butter
16 oz chocolate candy coating

Melt candy corn in microwave on high 1 minute. Stir and continue cooking in 15 second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. Stir in peanut butter. Spread in 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper. Cool completely. Cut into squares. Dip in melted candy coating. Lay on waxed paper to set.

**This recipe was found at chef-in-training.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment