Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Funeral Sandwiches

This recipe was being discussed on a forum that I read. It seemed like everyone who had tried them love them. So I of course did a search to find the recipe. This one was found at sundaybaker.net. These would be perfect for a busy evening. You could easily make them up within a few minutes. Let them marinate until you are ready for them. Since they only take 15 minutes to cook, ready in no time. The flavor is really good. I could taste a bit of tang from the mustard and Worcestershire sauce, and a little sweetness from the sugar and the rolls. I served mine with mixed vegetables, but would go great with some chips or fries as well. The only thing I don't like about them is the name. I think I would have thought of something else to call them.

Funeral Sandwiches

1 package King Hawaiian rolls
1/2 to 1 Lb deli ham
Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
dash onion powder

Cut rolls in half. Line baking pan with bottoms of rolls. Layer the ham them cheese and place the tops back on. Mix the butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, brown sugar and onion powder. Pour the whole mixture over the buns, drenching each one. Cover tightly and marinate 4 to 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bun tops are a bit golden.

**Since there is only two of us, I used a 4 pack of the King Hawaiian sub buns.
**I had some mozzarella on hand so used that in place of the Swiss.
**I cut the marinade recipe in half.
**I would suggest using a pan with little extra space around the edges. My pan was a little bigger then needed and the marinade did run a little. I just used a spoon to scrape the marinade that ran and put it back on before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment