Friday, August 5, 2011

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls

This recipe was found at ezrapoundcake.com. This is the first time I have attempted anything used egg roll wrappers. I should have just went to the Asian market that is close to my apartment to look for the wrapper instead of the regular grocery. Wal-Mart didn't have them, or any kind of wrappers. My grocery store didn't have the wrappers I wanted but had spring roll wrappers. I know they are different, but at least they are wrappers. Next time I guess I will drive the ten minutes, across the bridge, and try another store.
Anyway, this recipe is good, very good. It is a little hot, as in spicy hot. So if you don't care for the hotness, I would suggest cutting down on the cayenne pepper, cumin and chili powder. I don't like spinach, so I made some without the spinach. Then added the spinach to the filling to finish them.
If you can't find egg roll wrappers and use spring roll wrappers be sure to soak them good before rolling. No where on the package did it say to soak them. But I have watched some videos/shows and have seen people working with the wrappers. The first ones I didn't soak enough so they were hard to roll. After a couple I was letting the wrapper soak longer, until very flimsy. They rolled very easily.

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls

2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies, drained
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 package egg roll wrappers

In a large bowl, combine all but the wrappers. Mix well to blend. Lay a wrapper on your work surface so that one corner is pointed toward you. Place 1/4 cup filling in the center. Fold the tip closest to you over the filling, roll a lit. Take the outward corners and fold toward the center. Continue rolling into shape until small point is still free. Dip a finger in water or a beaten egg and lightly brush edges of the corner. Finish rolling and press to seal closed. Repeat with rest of filling and wraps. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray sheet pan with cooking spray. Place sealed side down. Spray tops with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly brown, turning half way through. Serve with warm salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment