Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chicken Chimichangas

I posted a recipe before for Skinny Chimichangas, this is my little twist on that recipe. The original recipe calls for ground turkey breast. When I made these before I just used ground beef. Today I shredded chicken for the recipe. They turned out excellent. This is for sure a make again recipe. Corey really liked them with chicken instead of beef.

Chicken Chimichangas

1/2 Lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp chopped mild green chilies
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 (8 inch) flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray pan with non stick spray. Cook and shred chicken breasts. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin over medium heat. Stir in tomato sauce and chilies, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cheese. Warm tortillas in oven for about 10 minutes, wrapped in foil. Spoon about 1/2 cup filling into each shell. Fold in sides and roll. Place seam side down in baking pan. Lightly spray tops with non stick spray. bake until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Top with salsa and sour cream.

**Once again I'm gonna praise my Pampered Chef micro cooker. I love it, well them since I have two. This is how I cooked my chicken. I put two breasts into the cooker and microwaved about 4 minutes. Took them out and rinsed off them off and rinsed out the cooker. Cut them in half lengthwise,then just used my fingers to shred. I then put the chicken back into the cooker. I just added the spices to the cooker and back into the microwave for about 3 minutes. Then added the sauce and chilies, stirred every together. Back into the microwave another 3 minutes. Added the cheese and began the rolling.
**The original recipe calls for 4 eight inch tortillas. I used 8 burrito sized tortillas. I used my spoon to roughly divide the meat while in the cooker into 8 portions. I think it gave a nice amount of filling with seeping out the sides.
**When I roll, I roll one side barely over the filling and pull it back toward me. Roll once, then fold in the sides and continue rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment