Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mountain Bar Bars

I haven't made a dessert in a long time. I found this one at bakerlady.wordpress.com. It is really simple and quick to put together. The only thing I changed was I had milk chocolate chips, so used those instead of semi sweet. The flavor is really good. I will for sure make these again. Next time I may double it and make it in a 9 x 13 pan.

Mountain Bar Bars

3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chip0s
1/2 cup peanut butter

Grease a 9 inch square pan. Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Mix in the oats. Cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until ingredients are well blended. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Pour this mixture over the crust in the pan. Spread evenly with a knife or the back of a spoon. Crumble reserved oat mixture over chocolate layer, pressing in gently. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before cutting into bars.

**I didn't grease the pan. I put foil in the bottom, extending over the edge to lift it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment