Thursday, September 13, 2012

Tex-Mex Steak with Pepper Salsa

This recipe is from mylifetime.com under cook yourself thin.

Thursday nights are rushed, I work nights and get home with just enough time to make a quick meal and get Corey fed before he leaves. I wanted to get as much done as possible this morning. I put the steak in the marinade this morning. I also made the salsa this morning. I also partially cooked the potatoes this morning. I knew when I got home all I would need to do is put the potatoes in the oven, and the steak on the grill.

Of course Corey messed up my dinner plans tonight. He was still in the bed when I got home. He slept all day. I handed him a plate with a good meal on it. He was really enjoying it, but had to leave. I felt bad that he didn't have a little more time. Guess I don't have to get up to make breakfast tomorrow, he has an awesome meal waiting on him. This one will for sure be on the menu again in the near future.

Tex-Mex Steak with Pepper Salsa

For the steak:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pound flank steak

For the salsa:
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 poblano or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeƱo, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
Zest and juice of one lime
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cayenne
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large, sealable plastic bag, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add steak, and massage the marinade into the meat. Seal the bag and place on a sheet tray or large plate. Marinate overnight or for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the salsa. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Salsa can be made a few hours ahead and refrigerated.)

Once ready to cook, preheat broiler on high for 10 minutes. Remove steak from the marinade, place under broiler for 5 minutes per side for medium rare, 7 to 10 minutes per side for well-done. Allow the steak to rest for 3 to 5 minutes before slicing thinly, on the bias, against the grain.

Serve with salsa.

**I used a yellow pepper instead of green.
**I used a few small serano peppers instead of a jalapeno.
**I didn't use a flank steak. The steak I had was a little thick so I cut small slits across the meat so the marinade could soak in more.
**I cooked my steak on the grill.



No comments:

Post a Comment