Monday, September 10, 2012

Spiced Chicken and Greens with Pomegranate Dressing


I signed up for something somewhere along the line and now receive emails from American Family. Most of the time I just click the delete. However, sometimes they have some recipes in the emails. This is one of those recipes.

Neither Corey nor I have ever had pomegranates or Gorgonzola cheese. I tried a taste of the cheese before adding it to the salad. Not for me, I couldn't get it out of my mouth fast enough. However, I sprinkled a tiny bit on Corey's salad, he liked it. We both thought the dressing was excellent. Along with the other salad ingredients there was a nice blend of sweet and tangy with a little kick from the red pepper.

Spiced Chicken and Greens with Pomegranate Dressing

Chicken:

Cooking spray
1 tsp chili powder
4 (6 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Dressing:

1/3 cup pomegranate juice
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Salad:

1 (5 oz) package gourmet salad greens
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
3/4 cup orange sections (about 2 medium oranges)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup (1 oz) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

To prepare the chicken, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chili powder and salt over chicken. Add chicken to pan, cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet, let stand 3 minutes. Cut across grain into thin slices, set aside.

To prepare dressing, combine juice and next 5 ingredients (through crushed red pepper) in a small bowl, stir well with whisk.

To prepare salad, place greens on a serving platter, top with onion, orange, cranberries, and chicken slices. Sprinkle evenly with cheese, pour dressing over salad.

**I cooked my chicken on the grill.
**I just used a large bowl and tossed all the salad ingredients in.
**There was enough dressing that it pooled in the bottom of the bowl, so I added more greens and re-tossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment