Thursday, February 17, 2011

Skinny Chimichangas



I found this recipe online. It was really simple. Most the ingredients are stuff I usually have on hand. I did do them wrong but they still taste fine. The cheese is supposed to be on the inside. I had them all rolled and was reading the directions, when I discovered they were wrong. Anyway, I just added the cheese to the top and went on about cooking them. Of course mine were not "skinny".

Skinny Chimichangas

1/2 Lb ground skinless turkey breast
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp mild green chilies, chopped
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
4 (8inch) fat free flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray skillet with non stick spray. Brown meat with onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin over medium heat. Stir in tomato sauce and green chilies, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cheese. Warm shells in oven about 10 minutes, wrapped in foil. Spoon about 1/2 cup filling into each shell. Fold in sides and roll. Place seam side down in baking pan. Lightly spray tops with non stick spray. Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Top with salsa and fat free sour cream.

**I used ground chuck instead of turkey.
**I used canned green chilies. The small can is a little more then needed.
**I did not use fat free shells, fat free sour cream, or reduced fat cheese.
**When I used 1/2 cup filling as I rolled it oozed out the edges. I cut back on the amount of filling and used more shells. I used a 10 count bag of shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment